How to Apply
As soon as you have submitted all documents, your application will be considered. We therefore encourage especially international applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Note: Starting next year (2022), the application process will be entirely online. Details concerning the submission process will follow in due course (April 2022).
- Qualified degree (Bachelors, Diploma or equivalent) in Economics or a related field. Applicants should have 70 ECTS in economics / business administration including at least basic knowledge of (a minimum of 5 ECTS each in) microeconomics, macroeconomics, and statistics/econometrics.
Note: It is possible to complete up to 20 ECTS of the qualification requirements during the MA DEIS program. Students admitted to the program will need to earn the missing ECTS during their first year of studies. Missing courses can be completed at FAU. If you have earned less than 70 ECTS in economics/business administration, please provide information in your letter of application about the courses you have taken and the total ECTS you have earned so far.
- Grade point average of 2.5 or better (in the German marking system) in the undergraduate program.
- Sound knowledge of English (CEFR: C1) with one of the following test scores (or equivalents), ideally not older than 2 years:
- TOEFL–IBT: 95 or above / CBT: 240 or above / PBT: 587 or above / ITP: 627 or above;
- If due to COVID-19, you are unable to submit one of these tests at the moment, we may also consider the TOEFL Special Home Edition. As we cannot guarantee to accept the alternative test at this point, we strongly advice you to take the original version whenever possible.
→ The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL®) is valid for 2 years after the test date. The Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuernberg institution code for ordering your official TOEFL Test score from ETS is 8265. There is no department code, this can be left blank. Applicants can order their score reports through their test taker profile by indicating Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuernberg institution code 8265. The Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuernberg verifies the TOEFL results in the online verification system provided by ETS.
The Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuernberg accepts MyBest™ scores for the TOEFL iBT® test, in addition to TOEFL iBT scores from a single test date. Additional information about how to prepare for the test, where to find the next test centre and many other resources can be found at: www.toeflgoanywhere.org
- IELTS: C1 / 7.0 or above; minimum of 6.0 in each section
- → Please mention your Test Report Form (TRF) number which is printed on the paper Test Report Form.
- UNIcert® III
- TOEIC: 945 or above
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) / Business English Certificate (BEC) Higher
- → Please provide us with your unique Candidate’s ID number and your Candidate’s secret number. By sharing this information, the candidate gives the permission to verify the result.
- telc English C1
Note that students have to provide a proof of their competence in the German language (level A1 or higher) within their first year of studies.
The application is carried out via the University’s Online Application Portal for Master’s Degree Programs. Here, you may also check the current stage of your application.
Besides providing proof for the above-mentioned entry requirements and a transcript of your courses of your Bachelor’s degree, you will need to submit the following documents:
- A letter of application in English, no more than two pages in length, in which you explain why you are qualified for admission to the degree program.
Note: If you have earned less than 70 ECTS in economics/business administration, please provide information in your letter of application about the courses you have taken and the total ECTS you have earned so far.
- If available: proof of qualified practical experience in the field of development economics as well as a description of the practical experience written in English by the applicant (description of tasks and responsibilities), one page in length.
Please upload these documents as ‘additional documents’. All these documents will be considered by the admission board.
You have to submit the application form created by the application portal and all necessary documents as a hard copy to the Master Office.
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Referat L 4 – Masterbüro
As soon as you have submitted all documents in the required form, your application will be considered.
Applicants who were admitted to the MA DEIS program last year do not have to send their documents again by regular mail. Please indicate in Campo that you are re-applying and upload your application from last year as well as the above mentioned additional documents. Please also inform us about your re-application by sending an email to email@example.com. Many thanks.
You may find further information about the application process at the Master Office’s webpage.
The application deadline for the program starting in the respective winter term is July 15 of the same year.